Monday, September 13, 2010

Let's take it one week at a time

So after accepting this eco rep job along with running my club, they tell me to start blogging about my sustainability work. Basically the assignment was, 1) pick something sustainable that you don't already do and do it for a week 2) blog about it.
I've been just a little bit swamped with work lately so I've been kinda slow about getting my blog stuff up. I know I was supposed to do my sustainable action last week, but in the craziness, I forgot. So starting today, I'm going to take under 10 minute showers. Did you know, you use somewhere between 16 and 20 gallons of water in just a 5 minute shower? I feel like I totally read that in a seventh grade math problem or something and it's just been stuck with me since. I know this is something everyone can do, I mean, don't we all give in to temptation and linger just a little bit longer in the warm showers sometimes? Well no more long showers..... at least for this week.
Since I have yet to complete my week of sustainability, I figure I'll just write a bit on what I've been working on at McConnell lately. The major accomplishment for last week was getting the recycling bin system back up and running for the new semester. TAMS has kept the recycling system going successfully for, I want to say 5ish years now? We put one bin at every wing just for recycling. Every week a volunteer wing representative takes it downstairs and sorts it in to paper, plastic, cardboard, and aluminum. I finally got all 14 wing reps chased down with kinda an understanding as to what to do.... So we'll see how smoothly that runs this week.
Also a bunch of us cleaned out our garden a few weeks back. So this week, we'll be planting our veggies, which is super exciting. So stop by and come see it sometime next week (:

1 comment: